Saturday, January 27, 2007

Day Four

After posting a 3-0 record yesterday, we were in prime position to advance to the championship, having the second best record when for and against were taken into account. A win this morning with a differential of better than 3 runs would give us a shot at the trophy.

Another starter was used with mixed success. He gave up a few hits and walks and we fell behind. After the bases were loaded in the 3rd with no outs, Mitch called me in to relieve (I love that I can say that).After the change our bats came alive to take the lead, and I managed to pitch 5 innings of 2-hit shutout ball to get the win and a place in the final.

The Red Barons had a 4-0 record and had yet to give up a run, so we knew this would be a tight matchup. I still had plenty of juice, so I started from the mound. These guys came out swinging and they put on 2 runs in the first. In the top of the 2nd we scored the first run against them all tournament and they knew this would be a battle.

Score stayed the same through the 3rd and 4th inning. In the bottom of the fifth I got behind and gave up some hits and walked a few guys in to push the deficit out to 7-1. Got a visit to the mound from Mitch who just told me to get pissed off at the umpire for making some shitty calls and strike them out. It worked and I knocked them over.

Knowing we only had 2 innings to claw back the deficit, we got the team fired up, and I knocked in a run to bring it to 7-2 in the 6th. They added a run on a fielders choice and the score was 8-2 after 6.

Final inning and their pitcher struck out three to close the game.

Despite the loss, it was a great experience and I was fortunate enough to be matched with a good group of guys. We have the presentation dinner tonight where hopefully a few of the Ravens will get acknowledged for their efforts.
Below is a picture with Kevin Jordan. Prior to the Phillies he played in the ABL with the Brisbane Bandits and lives in Brisbane for six months of the year (he has an Aussie wife).

Final day tomorrow and our team will play a few innings against the pros. Looking forward to digging in against Mitch and hopefully getting a single (or a walk or even a HBP) so I can chat with Kruk at first. Add in the Phanatic, and this fella will have made all of the pre-camp aspirations come true.

No comments: